- The Security Boot
- Security Boot Magnum System
- Security Boot Wrap System (adapted for new slab construction)
The Security Boot is a unique, patented construction technology that received approval (Notice of Acceptance) from the Miami-Dade County Department of Regulatory & Economic Resources Board and Code Administration Division in June 2015. Engineering tests confirm that this high tensile strength steel technology exceeds Miami-Dade County’s requirements by over 300%, and will eliminate our disaster recovery pattern of destruction – recovery – “quick-fix”. The Security Boot System of products revolutionizes the construction industry, as it is expected to be the standard by which structural integrity for foundation enhancement is measured.
Security Boot Specs:
- Miami-Dade County NOA, Drawings, Tests, Calculations, Quality Assurance, and Material Certifications (link)
- High Velocity Wind Storm Surge Security Device (HVWSSSD)
- High tensile strength, low-fatigue steel, wrapped around pilings of wood, steel or precast concrete in all currently available sizes and shapes
- Can be attached to uppermost section of the piling to form a more robust connection point between a building’s foundation and vertical structure
- Adaptable to existing and new construction, on both pilings and slab
- Limited lifetime warranty; 25-year coating warranty
- S. Patents: Design (2013), Utility (2015), and Intellectual (pending)
Testing and Performance
The Security Boot has been put through rigorous field and laboratory testing. Through these and engineer’s calculations, the Security Boot is proven to have 3 times the capacity of current foundations to which it is attached. This means that in the event of hurricane-force winds or flood events, the structure will remain attached to the foundation provided the structures are built to code for such areas. Governmental approval was strategically sought from Miami-Dade County, since this municipality consistently leads the way in improved building codes that are the most stringent building codes in the United States, as a result of lessons learned from the devastating effects of Hurricane Andrew in 1992. The NOA leads to automatic approval from several Florida municipalities, such as Collier, Monroe, Palm Beach, Lee, Orange, Osceola, as well as Gulf States.
Production and Distribution
Phoenix Foundations Systems, LLC has a full-service manufacturing and shipping process. The factory is located in Ridgeland, MI, within 5 miles of multimodal transportation routes: I-55, SR 51, I-20 with ready access to the Mississippi River, and its related ports. The factory’s production capability is 50,000 devices (or pieces) per month (an average building of 2,200 sq ft footprint will require 10 units; therefore, 10 units are strategically placed per Engineer’s instruction). All required raw material is readily available within a 100-mile radius. Agreements are in place with raw material manufacturers for provision of bulk quantities, at bulk pricing (all made in the United States, thus fully compliant with Buy America requirements).
- Base system of 8″ & 10″ piers for a building footprint of up to 2,200 sf require 10 Security Boots (installed at specific piers of the foundation)
- Larger size footprints will require more Security Boots installed at an additional charge.
- Buildings’ elevations may be increased to achieve substantial safety improvement.
- The Security Boot Magnum System (SBMS) enables a two-foot increase in elevation on a building’s original foundation.
The counties mentioned above contain approximately 60% of the total population of Florida. In one county alone, there are over 100,000 structures on elevated foundations. As a result of new restrictions imposed for building in these areas, many homeowners have to raise their homes or forfeit flood insurance and incur huge homeowner insurance increases. The Security Boot will enable property owners in flood-prone areas to raise their properties at a fraction of the cost of other conventional methods currently available. Insurance premium discounts may also be available: PFS has begun initial communication with major insurance carriers, to test receptiveness; these businesses have indicated a willingness to offer incentive rebates to policy holders. This problem and solution are applicable domestically and internationally: United States; the Caribbean; and Southeast Asia.
Additional applications: Boathouses, bridges, bulkheads, finger piers, marine structures and utility poles.
Phoenix Foundation Systems, LLC is marketing this product to builders/contractors, developers, architects, engineers, above-ground utility providers and private property owners. We are also working with building and code enforcement departments of Gulf States: Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, as well as other counties across Florida, to formalize these departments respective acceptance/approval of the Security Boot into local construction practice. We will be continuing outreach to states along the east coast: the Carolinas, Maryland, New Jersey and others.